Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mr. President, inspire us...please


I had no doubt that Noynoy would win. But, I didn't vote for him.

I didn't vote for him even though all our neighbors and most of our relatives were for him. I didn't vote for him even though in my place of work, he had a lot of solid supporters. There was even a cubicle a few steps away from mine that could very well pass as a mini Noy headquarters.

He was my second choice, though. Far second. I want a leader who could make hard decisions, is headstrong, has will-power, is results-oriented, a doer -- all of which I was afraid Noy is not. The only reason why he was my second choice was that I was certain that he wouldn't be corrupt. He said it matter of factly in his campaign ads, "Hinding hindi ako magnanakaw". Many I know, believed in that but still, the question remains --What are his next steps after proclaiming and promising that he won't steal. I wonder, if Cory had not died, would these people vote for him, still? I am not against his winning in the presidential bid. No, not at all. In fact, I am really okay with him being our president than Erap and Jamby. All I am asking is for him to make the country progress and rid any trace of corruption and greed from our government...impunto! Those are not too much to ask for, right? We deserve a clean government. We deserve a leader who will inspire us to be the best that we can be as Filipinos.

Today is the proclamation of Noynoy as the country's 15th President. I have this crazy idea that I verbalized to my husband some few days back-- that if I were to be President, my first move towards achieving unity is to sit down with all those who ran for the same position and appoint or include them in my cabinet. It sounds so ideal and simple but my husband told me that it's not that simple. Haaaayyy, why make things complicated? Why not just work hand-in-hand? If I am Noynoy today, I will make Erap my representative for any Mindanao affairs, Villar as the Speaker of the House, Gibo as my Economic Adviser, Gordon as Tourism Secretary, and Villanueva as DepEd Secretary. If any of them refuse to work with me then it means that that person is just after the power that comes with the position and his heart is not really set on serving the Filipino people and wanting to make the country move forward. That's how I see it.

Today, I read from one of the broadsheets that majority of the Filipinos now see a bright future ahead. That's a good sign. At least, Filipinos, including myself, can see a glimmer of hope, once again.

As a concerned Pinoy, I urge everyone of us to also do our part and not just depend on the new government to solve all our problems.

And to our new President, my message is simply this -- Please, Mr. President, inspire us and make us proud to be Filipinos.




No comments: