Saturday, March 10, 2012

Greatness Starts @Home


I have always believed in its power. I have always been awed by its results when uttered sincerely. I have always believed that it is our greatest weapon…bar none. Yes, it can move mountains! I’m talking about PRAYER.



Our daughters (ages 12, 5, 2) know how to pray. In their own simple words, they will not hesitate to pray when asked. In our home, prayer is what fuels our faith and deep relationship with God. It is our oil of greatness in fulfilling God’s purpose in our lives.

I remember the very first prayer each of our daughters said. They were neither made of impressive words nor taught and memorized from school, but a simple bedtime conversation with God.


I remember my eldest told me about how she received compliments from their religion teacher because of the prayer she said during one of their classes. And from that moment on, she would oftentimes be asked to lead the prayer. I was elated!

I remember an instance when our 5-year old led the prayer before meal time. While her hands were clasped in prayer and eyes closed, she asked God to bless our food which she enumerated one-by-one – “Bless our rice, liempo and vegetables.” She then continued to thank God and went on...and on...and on...with her prayer until our eyes turned white because we were already so hungry, hahaha! Nevertheless, I was impressed!

I remember when our 2-year old joined us in prayer one Sunday morning. Hand-in-hand we took turns praying and when it was her turn, she excitedly opened her mouth and whispered oh so softly, “Jishus… bess papa, bess mama, bess ate Ishi, bess ate Wowel, we wuv you. Disisis shhis name, amen.” I was amazed!

By teaching them to pray, I know I am preparing them for greatness because no less than the power of God is unleashed when we pray. It is like giving them a firm foundation to stand on when the world tries to knock them down. Prayer certainly makes our spirit indomitable.

For a mom like me, our child’s achievements and milestones no matter how trivial they may be, are worth celebrating. Who wouldn’t be a proud parent if their child is an Einstein in the making (okay make that Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs?), or can rival the art of Leonardo da Vinci, or someone who can solve a rubix cube puzzle in less than a minute (wow!), or a bemedalled athlete at a very young age, or is being groomed to be the next greatest performer the world has ever known? I know, I would.

But more than achieving these great feats, my heart’s desire is for our daughters to become what God wants them to bethat to me is true greatness. This is the very reason hubby and I want them to be in touch with God daily through prayer even at a very young age. We want prayer to become very much part of their lives, as much as it has been to me and hubby.

I firmly believe that it is only in humility, when we admit to ourselves and realize that we need God and that apart from Him we are nothing, that we are in our greatest element. Only then can we achieve moments of greatness. We don’t have to make a big splash in order to be regarded as great. We can be great in little things – being a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear to a troubled friend, making a person smile, opening a door for someone – the list can go on and on. These are the little things which accumulate into true greatness.

“One kernel is felt in a hogshead; one drop of water helps to swell the ocean; a spark of fire helps to give light to the world. None are too small, too feeble, too poor to be of service. Think of this and act.” Hannah More

Greatness comes from within. It starts and is very much nurtured at home. There’s a great truth in the saying - “Give me the child until he is 7, and I will show you the man." Everything we teach our children, every value we instill in their young minds will form the person they will become. These are the same values they will take with them through life. I cannot overemphasize the importance of having a happy nurturing and above all, God-centered home, for our children to grow into greatness.

We know our daughters can achieve great things but I believe that with prayer, they can achieve the impossible. Just like what the last 4 lines of the poem says

For the pathway before me

My heavenly Father knows,
And I'll trust him to unfold it
Just as He unfolds the rose.

And He will unfold the rose.




This is my official entry to Globe's Greatness Starts @Home Blogging Contest. To find out more, click this link http://tattoo.globe.com.ph



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome blog babes!

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring blog! You should be a role model of all moms. I really enjoyed reading all your blogs =). God bless.

Unknown said...

The article is very nice! I wonder if you won.. either way, I think you're already a winner by molding your kids right! :)

Btw, happy mother's day!

http://ohhthat.blogspot.com/