Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Let’s Move & Let’s Love

 
Eversince I graduated from college and started to earn my own keep, I have this desire to do something about the plight of our street children and contribute something (tangible items and non-tangible items) to an orphanage. Orphans and abandoned kids have a special place in my heart maybe because I'm an orphan myself. 

When I was still single, I would join my brother and his family to a Noche Buena food-giving project to street children or to those just living in "karitons". Soon after, I organized a similar project right before Noche Buena. But this time, I enjoined my yuppie friends who helped in preparing and distributing the food to street children. To be honest, it was tiring but more than that, there's always this feeling of blessedness when I'm involved in doing some acts of charity and kindness. There’s joy in my heart when I give a part of myself to others and I guess this holds true to everyone who’s been part of a similar undertaking.   
    
This Christmas I would like to take action once again to bring joy and happiness to an orphanage that I've been wanting to revisit since the first time I went there. What I' ve been planning to do is not at all grand but a simple gesture of "giving". I would like to actually organize/put up a garage sale before Christmas from which all proceeds would be used to buy pajamas, clothing items, maybe some blankets, for the kids in the orphanage. I would like this "Giving Event" to be part of our family holiday activities starting this year.  We don’t have much to begin with, but we have been blessed far more than what we deserve. It’s about time to share part of our blessings to others.                    

Together with my husband and three daughters ages 12, 6 & 3, I would spend one whole afternoon at an orphanage this Christmas, feeding the kids, playing and mingling with them. I would like to give them my love and warm embrace even for a short time. I believe doing this would make our Christmas more meaningful and fulfilling. This is also one very effective way to teach our children the true meaning of Christmas. 
   
And maybe this single step would be a start of fulfilling one of my dreams... that of putting up a children's orphanage. I guess, if we all start doing something for others (sort of a pay it forward thing) and start thinking of other people more and think of ourselves less, then I believe, this world would be a far more better place.

This is my official entry to Nuffnang's & Benetton's "Let's Move & Let's Love" Blog Contest.  


http://blog.nuffnang.com.ph/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Benetton1.jpg









No comments: