Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Winning MOMent with My Pink Banana Float


It was on May 15, a week before Mother's Day, when I finally got to drop by Basix Restaurant of Dusit Thani and take pictures of my Pink Banana Float on display and served as part of the restaurant's dessert line-up. Seeing my winning recipe on the dessert line-up with a portrait of me together with my two precious princesses (how I wish my youngest princess was included, too) made me feel so proud. I took a total of 6 shots (all having the same angle, lol). I was on cloud nine when I stepped out of the restaurant and I couldn't wait to go home and show the pictures to my husband. It was such a great Mother's Day gift to me.

As expected, the hotel chef or baker did a very nice job in making the dish look so much nicer, presentable and pretty. My Pink Banana Float never looked this good! I bet, it tasted even better, too. Now, I'm regretting not tasting it while I was there. Really, I should have just have lunch there and treated myself. It was still Mother's Week, anyway (sad face). Tasting my own recipe prepared by a professional chef must have been a wonderful experience. Haaayyy, I'm really regretting letting that once-in-lifetime opportunity pass (another sad face).

Anyway, I just have to brush off the those regrets. In the meantime, here is the winning recipe that I submitted to "Mom's Best Home-Cooked Original Recipe" held at Dusit Thani.

Pink Banana Float (I failed to take a photo of the finished product)
This is a family favorite. It's like an ice-cream and pie in one. I call it My Pink Banana Float for the obvious reason that bananas are the main ingredients. The pink part has got to do with the strawberry-flavored cream or milk which is colored pink. For some added twist, I also put some ground cinnamon and semi-sweet chocolate shavings into the recipe.

I thought of creating a simple, inexpensive, creamy dessert that my children will love and they just happen to love bananas. Not to mention, that bananas are very abundant in our country.

Ingredients:
bananas (over ripe) * I use the latundan kind
chocolate graham crackers
1 pack all-purpose cream
1 pack strawberry flavor cream or 1/2 c. - 3/4 c. of strawberry flavor milk
1 small can condensed milk
ground cinnamon
semi-sweet chocolate for topping

Procedure:
- Prepare the dish or tupperware
- Peel the bananas. Slice the bananas thinly and set is aside.
- Mix the cream and condensed milk and set aside.
- Fill the bottom of the dish with graham crackers. You can break the crackers into pieces or lay it whole.
- Pour out 1/4 of the mixed condensed milk and cream over it. Spread it evenly.
- Then lay the slice bananas on top of the graham and mixed cream/milk.
- Sprinkle some ground cinnamon over the layer.
- Pour out another 1/4 of the mixed milk/cream.
- Repeat the same process. Put another layer of graham crackers, then mixed milk/cream and bananas and sprinkle with some ground cinnamon. You can make up to 3 layers of your ingredients. The top layer must be the graham and milk/cream mixture.
- Top with crushed graham crackers and semi-sweet chocolate shavings.
- Put it on the freezer for an hour or until it is hard enough.
- Serve chilled.

There you have it, my masterpiece.

Thank you to my family- my husband, my three lovely daughters - for the inspiration! I am an Explorer and I use IE8.



No comments: